City of Pass Christian
The Auto Mechanic performs work in the maintenance of gasoline and diesel powered automotive, construction, and related equipment.
Work involves responsibility of the performance of skilled tasks in the mechanical maintenance of automobiles, trucks, tractors, bulldozers, fire trucks, and other standard and special automotive equipment operated by the city. Job assignments range from minor adjustments to complete engine overhauls and component rebuilds. Assignments are received from a superior who may also provide some direction on more difficult work. Employees of this class are, however, expected to exercise independent judgment as to method of repair on most assignments.
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
· Performs mechanical repairs and adjustments on power, drive, brake, steering, electrical, cooling, and related systems on light and heavy equipment.
· Does complete motor overhauls on gasoline or diesel powered engines.
· Performs major and minor engine tune ups and adjustments; installs rebuilt motors.
· Replaces universal joints, differentials, axles, transmissions and clutches; rebuilds or adjusts components as required; may overhaul automatic transmissions.
· Replaces tie rods, steering sections, springs, and shock absorbers; replaces generators, alternators, regulators, starters, wiring, gauges; rebuilds or adjusts components as required.
· Repairs and adjusts hydraulic systems; replaces hydraulic motors, hoses, and fittings.
· Installs and adjusts power take offs.
· May make emergency road calls to perform minor repairs on equipment or to tow disabled equipment to shop.
· May do welding work incidental to completion of repair assignments.
· Performs related work as required.
· Considerable knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, and materials used in the maintenance and repair of automotive, construction, and related equipment.
· Considerable knowledge of the operating principles of gasoline and diesel engines, and of mechanical components of automotive, construction, and related equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must posses required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
· Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of equipment repair work and large scale shop operations.
· Ability to diagnose defects in automotive, construction, and related equipment and to repair such defects with reasonable proficiency.
· Ability to perform manual labor associated with major mechanical repair work in related equipment.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Skill in the use and care of tools, equipment and material used in the maintenance and repair of automotive, construction, and related equipment.
Education and Experience:
High school graduate or equivalent, or vocational school.
Required Licenses or Certificates:
Must possess valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 50+ pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are both indoors and outdoors.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.