Business Operations Manager
Location St. Paul
MINNESOTA Department of Administration
The Department of Administration is a core service agency serving the Governor, legislature, state agencies, local governments, and the public. Its mission is to provide leadership, innovation, solutions, and support to help our partners succeed.
Working Title: Business Operations Manager
Job Class: State Program Administrator, Director
Agency: Administration Dept
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 02/24/2023
- Closing Date: 03/16/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Administration Dept / Administration-MMA
- Division/Unit: Real Estate & Construction Services
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $34.10 - $49.13 / hourly; $71,200 - $102,583 / annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 216 - Middle Management Association/MMA
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Executive
- Telework Eligible: Yes
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
The Business Operations Manager leads a team of approximately seven members to provide division-wide strategic and administrative management along with program management and oversight of contracting and accounting activities for real estate and construction services in support of Department’s goals and statutory responsibilities. Oversee employees that perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- administering and implementing professional technical contracting activities for the division and state agency projects statewide, including drafting Request for Proposals (RFP), contracts and related contract documents;
- maintaining the Master Contract program, including drafting RFP’s, evaluation of submittals and drafting appropriate contracts;
- coordinating, overseeing and providing administrative services to the State Designer Selection Board (SDSB) and advise on proper procedures in accordance with statutory requirements so the board can effectively and efficiently carry out its statutory duties and responsibilities in compliance with M.S. 16B.33 and Minnesota Rules Chapter 3200;
- providing operational and administrative support to staff, coordinating office services, database management services, processing contracts, maintaining the division’s record retention and archiving programs and maintaining the division’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP);
- administering and performing financial functions of Real Estate and Construction Services for capital appropriations and public operating budgets including purchasing, payments and various financial budgeting reporting, ensuring timely completion and within State rules, regulations and guidelines.
The incumbent will evaluate contract and accounting programs and procedures; write policy and procedures for contract, accounting and support services implementation; develop program objectives and review reports to determine if objectives are met; advise customers with a comprehensive understanding of procedural and technical aspects of contracting and accounting; coordinate operational reports; manage IT services; provide administrative duties as needed; and coordinate and complete the hiring and performance management process, as needed, following State processes.
Four (4) years of professional experience coordinating and administering contracts, or accounting and financial administration. Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or closely related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
Successful applicants must also demonstrate:
- Thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, budgeting policies, principles, and practices sufficient to oversee the accounting and budgetary processes related to contract encumbering and payment.
- Practical experience with implementing and applying state and federal laws, rules, regulations, and procedures regarding contract administration.
- Supervisory or lead work experience that includes directing and assigning work, managing, and measuring performance, and coaching, mentoring, or training staff.
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices applicable to contract law and state law with the ability to interpret legal terminology and communicate with attorneys on contract issues.
- Skills in conflict management and consensus building with diverse groups in order to solve difficult and sensitive problems and management skills to analyze and resolve ambiguous or controversial situations and make difficult decisions.
- Oral and communication skills sufficient to effectively communicate and present complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to treat employees inclusively in the areas of accommodation, scheduling, expectations, individualized resource needs, training, and development.
- Efficient time management and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or closely related field.
- Five (5) years’ professional experience coordinating, negotiating, and administering contracts; or financial administration and management.
- Working knowledge of SWIFT, SEMA4, IA Warehouse database, or similar software programs.
- Knowledge of the state’s accounting, budgeting, human resources, and purchasing systems, including functions, policies, and procedures.
- Experience conducting long range planning with the ability to set long-term and short-term goals and objectives that equitably empower all employees, stakeholders, and the public.
- Experience with real estate contracts.
Successful applicant must pass a criminal background check through the American Databank and employer reference checks.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply to the MN Careers website http://www.mn.gov/careers Job ID 63319. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Teresa Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-2428.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Teresa Mills at email@example.com.
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what assistance is needed.