ITasS Customer Support Specialist
Virginia’s community colleges have a 50-year track record of educational excellence and innovation to serve the needs of our citizens and strengthen the Commonwealth’s economy. When Virginia’s General Assembly established the Virginia Community College System in 1966, the need for a comprehensive system was well known. Over the two decades after the end of World War II, leaders in government, business, professional sectors, and academia had called for a new approach to providing educational opportunity. A key concern was Virginia’s ability to develop a skilled and knowledgeable workforce to expand the state’s economy. Today our community colleges give every Virginian the opportunity to gain a quality education. With 23 colleges on 40 campuses located throughout the state, Virginia’s Community Colleges are committed to serving Virginia families, helping them acquire the knowledge and skills to seize the opportunities of today and tomorrow.
The chief objective of this position is to provide the System Office and Shared Service Center Customer Support Services (CSS) required to fulfill college as assigned by the CIO/CTO. Assist with the day-to-day operations of the System Office and Shared Service Center technology infrastructure providing direct assistance to customers and ITS staff in the event of operational problems or questions relating to the use of desktop computer systems, any supported software applications/packages, and related IT services. Responsible for troubleshooting, problem-solving, and maintaining desktop/laptop systems. Serves as the primary level one contact for all IT requests and related System Office help desk services. Provide remote support to offsite and mobile users. This position is responsible for client support at multiple institutions, including the System Office, the Shared Services Center, and a remote workforce. The employee is expected to be capable of working on a hybrid-remote basis, planning time appropriately, and going to work locations. wherever needed throughout the VCCS to ensure the successful operation of client systems and related software throughout Virginia. As dictated by present circumstances, the employee will attend all required meetings as necessary, either in person or from remote locations. The employee will be generally available during normal work hours but will be fully prepared to routinely work as needed outside of those hours to maintain the 24X7 service required by the VCCS.
A combination of relevant education and experience that provide the required level of knowledge, skills and ability to successfully perform the functions of the job requirements.
- One or more years experience as an IT helpdesk technician, LAN administrator/technician, system administrator, or a relevant IT position.
- Project management experience for small projects.
- Must have proven ability to define and develop solutions based on business requirements.
- Of and considerable skill for the ability to analyze and repair microcomputers, laptops, and peripherals equipment, ability to train faculty and staff customers in hardware and software use.
- Of audiovisual systems and support, including event support.
- Working knowledge:
- Of network and telecommunication skills.
- Of wireless endpoint configuration and troubleshooting.
- Of desktop imaging software, including systems such as KACE and Intune.
- To provide own transportation to travel between campus locations.
- To multitask, manage time effectively, and organize work.
- To support multimedia in an educational setting.
- To communicate effectively orally and in writing with technical and non-technical personnel and provide quality customer services.
- To learn new things and to apply those when and where appropriate.
- To communicate orally and in writing.
- To be detail-oriented.
- To work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- To apply general work experience to a task.
- To work independently or as part of a team.
- To work in stressful situations.
- To communicate and work well with everyone from the highest levels of technical Management to staff level.
- To understand a technical environment and plan accordingly.
- To find creative solutions to problems.
- To analyze user needs and solve problems.
- To be a self-starter and work independently.
- To use logic to resolve complex problems.
- To delegate tasks to others and oversee timely completion.
- To communicate timely task, project, and support ticket status to the manager.
- Preference given to Microsoft Certified Desktop Support
- Travel to our Shared Services Center in Daleville, VA on 3 days per week and to our System Office in Richmond, VA on 2 days per week is a requirement.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.dars.virginia.gov/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
Link for posting: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/69896
Sponsorship will not be offered for this position.
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.